Vacation is over, now- so it’s time to get back to projects.
- Shoulder bag v4 is officially in the works. I finished making the pattern, and I’ve cut most of the major panels. The bottom and sides are one piece, and I’ve laminated the padding and fabric together- lining will go on next. Nearly all the hardware is pulled and ready, so I should be able to make steady progress.
- My shoe re-soling project is done, too. I didn’t have the amazingly heavy-duty belt sanders that cobblers use to flatten soles, so there was a lot of handwork to be done. That said, I’ve worn them a bunch since and they seem to be holding up well. I got a bit lucky, as the distressed esthetic of the shoes themselves lends well to the slightly less… perfect… finish I achieved. Regardless, they’re lovely and back in service.
- The store is still there, but there’s also still nothing to actually buy in it- yet. V2 of the Chaordic Path Patch is still there and looking good, but I’m not quite there to send it off to production. Yet. YET.
- Two shoe projects remain: a pair made from scratch for my wife, and a pair modified for me. I nearly had a pair to modify the other day- they were a half-size too small, and that wouldn’t do. So: still in the hunt, here. Also still looking for a better sole/midsole combo material for the scratch built pair.
Slowly Getting Things Done (SGTD®)
- Shoe resole project is done. Shoes have been worn and didn’t even fall apart or anything. They definitely weigh more (what with all the rubber I’ve added…), but they’re totally comfortable and ready for the autumn.
- Bike #2 (the Burrito Slayer) is completely ready for my vacation next week. Pedals got swapped, and I even managed to ride it on a bit of a shakedown- so that’s great. I’d love to eventually swap the handlebar, but that’s nothing like a priority.
- Nearly all the picture framing queue has been dealt with- there are two longer-range items that need frames, but for now much of the backlog has been dealt with. A bit of hanging to do as a result, but that’s mostly fun. It’s good to have much of the collection finally up on walls to be seen.
- New shoulder bag design is making progress. I’ve had a couple of good ideas about straps and modularity, so I’m slowly getting towards being ready to source materials and start cutting. I’m still aiming for a very different esthetic than some of my other bag builds, and I’m trying (!) to mostly work with what I’ve got around here already (instead of some god-awful huge order of all-new stuff).
- My new store is (slowly) coming along. I’ve re-designed the first patch offering there (which still isn’t for sale…) after reading some more about the process. Much of the text I’d originally included was going to be far too small to work, so I’ve removed much of it. The result, I think, is less complicated and better on the whole. I’m not entirely ready to pull the trigger on production yet, but closer.
For a host of reasons I’d rather not go into here, it’s not been a great week. But I’ve been chipping away at the lists and the projects and I’m determined through shear perseverance to make things better. SO THERE.
The state of things (short version):
- My Jeans Shop shoes are nearly done. Commando soles have gone on with just some tiny detail work to finish and I’ll be able to (finally!) wear them again. They’re a great fall shoe, so the timing even works.
- “New” bike saddle hasn’t exploded in flames yet. So that’s great.
- I’ve made a teeny bit of progress on my new custom sneakers- but that’s ever-so-slightly back burnered until I clear one or two other things off the docket first.
- Speaking of other projects: I’ve been working on the design for a series of patches. Good old-fashion embroidered patches with iron-on backing. I’ve got two mostly done, and another two in design progress. Be forewarned, though: these will be shortish runs. You’ll find them (eventually) here.
- Slow, slow, slow progress on the new shoulder bag. Stumbled upon a lovely way to do the bottom of the bag, and I’ve been collecting reference pictures of bags to help work out some of the other details about size & construction. Still trying to get away from so much of the “tactical” look but retain functionality and durability.
Oh how time flies in the summer.
- Went on vacation- and I took much of that time off the internet as well. Got outside more, ate (too much) food, and played with happy kids in a pool.
- Updated the bio every-so-slightly here. A little less focus on the past, maybe a little more focus on the future.
- A new shoe project (slowly) making progress- I’ll share more as things come along, but right now I’m still in the “amassing supplies and logistics” phase of these things. Indeed, I haven’t entirely settled on the model of shoe I’ll be modifying for this, though a Vans Classic Slip-On is high on the list.
- The long-dormant new-shoulder-bag project is back! I’ve had some inspiration (finally!) about what I want to be different about this new bag (as compared to the existing & failing shoulder bag I currently use). I even have many/most of the materials in stock- I’ll need a couple small things, but that’s it.
- Just ordered most of the supplies to overhaul my best shock fork for my mountain bike. It’s long overdue, so it’ll be good to have it feeling plush and buttery soon. Of course I’ve never overhauled one of these before, so there’s that. And a bunch of the parts I need are on backorder, so I’m waiting as well. After, I’m looking at maybe a drivetrain modification. We’ll see.
Time, once again, for an update.
- I’ve seen a big (for me!) bump in newsletter subscriptions. That’s awesome! I have no idea where these folks have all come from (or who sent them my way)! Puts a bit of pressure on me to get the next edition out, anyway…
- Tom Sachs has a new NikeCraft website up (with a new movie!) that’s pretty neat. I’d add it to my “Required Viewing” playlist, but it’s not hosted on YouTube, so…
- On that note, I’ve been building a bunch of boxes/crates to better organize things. Finally built a box for 7″ records I’ve needed for a few years(!), a box to organize my index cards, and the start of a new art-supply cart for the studio. I’ll have spots for tools and markers and whatnot, but it’s capped by some paper storage and a smallish bookshelf, letting me keep reference books close to where I’m working. Need to build a wheeled stand for the whole thing, now.
- I’ve beed riding bikes more (again), and I’m starting to get some of my groove back. I still have “off” rides from time to time, but some confidence and practice is paying off. Maybe (just, maybe) some fitness is coming along. Also, finally have the bike running properly- though my fork needs an overhaul (and I’m loath to send it out for maintenance, but I’ve never overhauled one like this, and I’d similarly loath to have any bike downtime, so…)
- Starting to think about and plan a new pegboard setup in the garage- right now I’ve got too much 2nd tier stuff in 1st tier placements. I’ve got a single 4′ x 8′ board right now, but I’m looking at making that a true 8′ x 8′.
- I still need to build the 2nd small parts rack (and the accessories that go with it). I finally located space in the studio/office for it to live, so I suppose it’s time to fire up the saw…