There are a lot of reasons that you should be buying a 3D printer for your school. It’s a tremendous learning device as well as a tool- and it can be used by nearly any department in a school. Here’s what we’ve done with ours:
1. Print a new filament tensioning mechanism for the printer itself.
2. What would have been an obscenely expensive shoulder-mounted DSLR camera rig.
3. Replacement Manfrotto 501 tripod plates.
4. Nikon lens cap holders for neck straps.
5. A stretchy bracelet.
6. Student designed pneumatic-actuated cylinders.
7. A model deer’s head (mounted via a magnet to my wall).
8. A 180 atom buckyball model.
9. Alternate tripod mounts for some webcams.
10. Tripod to cold shoe adapters.
11. A geared heart.
12. A Rodin “Thinker”
Upcoming prints will include spare camera mount parts, VESA mount spacers, a model cathedral, and some jewelry.
Get one and use it.