Oh, hello. It’s a new year and whatnot, and about time I update the four people that read this. Here’s what I’m up to:
- My first brazing experiment (with aluminum!) went well enough that child #1 has a front rack for her 20″ wheeled bike. All it needs now is a basket mounted to it, and she’s ready to haul her own treasures. This is, technically, my first made item of 2017 (S/N 2017:001A)
- Speaking of serial numbers, I’ve started a spreadsheet to track everything I build for this year- a place for a picture, the serial number, and a text description of what the item is (or does, or whatever). Seemed like a good idea.
- I finally got around to the first round of modifications to a trench coat I bought a while ago. Fit in the sleeves and upper body was taken in, and an integrated shoulder strap was installed (to carry the coat bag-style when you’re not wearing it). More to go here (re-bagging the pockets, headphone mounts, etc etc etc.
- Built out a new scarf for my better half- simple cotton flannel, but sized for her needs and in a really lovely weave.
- Built a new scarf for myself. It’s a further exploration in the vein of ACRONYM or 1K Corp or CAV EMPT or the like. As a result, it’s a bit cyperpunk-y (is that still a word?), and it’s got some neat features. I’m not entirely sure about the final dimensions, but so far I really like it. Works with my new coat, too.
- Starting work on a new shoulder bag. It’ll be in the same-ish vein as my backpack (or, indeed, the above-mentioned 3A 5TS), and should give me something I can wear that works better with structured shoulders, and lets me change up the carry from time to time. I’ll be making it from the same coated 500d Codura outer as the backpack, but I’m still working on features and linings and whatnot. Finally got settled on the back panel construction, though. Progress!
Lots more on the lists, but I’m trying not to write about things that aren’t (at least) in progress yet.