Oh, summer, where have you gone?
- Custom rack mounting rails (parts built, assembly needed)
- Hard disk storage & rack mounts
- Seam-sealing coated Codura 500d
- Human Epigenetic shifts
- Patterning hooded sweatshirts
- Shoe midsole foam sourcing (fiber-impregnated EPA foam?)
- Large scale re-positionable VESA monitor mounts (via 80/20 extrusion?)
- Backpack (NF-P-815) v2.0 (full post on this coming soon)
- Broadcast DVR via Plex & Internet enabled tuner (beta)
My obsession with mechanical keyboards continues.
My long-awaited 60% keyboard finally showed up (after the now-standard tomfoolery of DHS + USPS for delivery), and the first thing I did was rip all the key caps off install the set I got custom made from WASD Keyboards. It looks lovely now, and I’m very happy to be using it.
I’ve not given up on my hand-wired monstrosity, either. It’s wired and has an “enclosure” and whatever, but I’ve been stalled for time with building out the custom firmware it needs to run. So it’ll wait a bit on that one. No rush.
Things I’m digging deep into:
- Re-tailoring jackets- especially jackets with felled seams.
- Making picture frames (larger format…)
- Real-time digital dashboards (importing custom data?)
- Analog representations of digital data
- Vegas cubes
- Cable Cord cutting (as it exists in 2016)
- Custom firmware for hand-wired mechanical keyboards
- Nomenclature/Directory structure for logging large amounts of digital footage
- Rack-mounted large storage arrays (see above)
- TIG welding
Things I’m up to (the real quick version):
- Mechanical Keyboard Proj #2 is wired- working on firmware now.
- My Chip and Dip from NTC finally came (needs to be flashed and whatnot)
- Fly Rod Tube proj is painted- needs mounts made next
- Working to source Grip Heads and 5/8″ pins for mounting monitors
- Shoe re-sole proj (v2) parts are ordered and on the way
- MTB #1 drivetrain (v3) parts are en-route (1×9 w/ a Narrow/Wide chainring)
- Mechanical Keyboard Proj #1 is shipped- should be here shortly (custom key caps are already here and waiting)
- Working on lighting options for the garage (led work strips?)
- Working on web-based dashboards for realtime updates
- Beginning to source frames for a massive art-hanging project
Lots of balls in the air right now, as it were.
- Custom re-work of a NOS Desert Storm-era fishtail parka. Re-fitting the entire coat, as it was designed as an over-over-coat, and that’s not my intended use.
- Backpack V2.0 needs attention. Fabric choices, paints (yes, paints), hardware, etc all to be picked- but progress!
- Roof top fly rod tube- for transporting multiple fly fishing rods. Finalized hardware today, started amassing parts and paints for the build. Not a complicated thing, but the paint job is non-trivial. Pictures will follow.
- Just finished a small “impossible artifact”- it’s a ceramic set of “brass” knuckles made as if NASA during the Apollo era might have spec’d such a thing. Sort-of. They were a fidgety thing to make- air drying clay is fickle, and free-handing a red worm NASA logo as an embossed thing into the clay? Yeah. Again: pics to follow.
- Custom macro keypad (as mentioned in the previous post). I’ve got the key layout done, the keyplate bought (but not cut…), and I’m making progress on the enclosure. Some hardware sourced, some decisions still to be made.
- New camera storage unit is built- needs some tidying of wires and whatnot, but it’s holding all the cameras and looking good.
- Project Xserve is complete- it’s up and running 10.11.4 with no problems, it’s got a new video card and a USB 3.0 card (with a separate controller for each port), and tons of storage. Odds and ends to come, I’m sure, but for now: done.
- My 1970’s KLH speaker overhaul drags on- turns out making wooden ring spacers is tricky. I’ve not given up yet, though.
Annnnddd that’s it for now. Plenty of other things, but those can all wait until next time.
The obsession with mechanical keyboards that I seem to have developed is… troubling. To the degree that I’m thinking about building a macro-specific keypad for a number of the repetitive tasks that I handle on a regular basis. So, for example, one layer of this keypad would make the Mod 3 and Mod 4 keys the Edit In and Edit Out commands in FCPX, with the Mod 1 and Mod 2 maybe triggering transitions or media imports. Alt 1 would be to show video scopes, and so on. Then, with another layer, Mod 3 and Mod 4 would become Cut and Paste (in a single key press), with other keys (maybe) being mapped to insert small batches of heavily used HTML. Or something. Regardless, I’m figuring out parts lists and where to order key caps and switches and whatnot. AND how to get a Teensy 2.0 to act like a keyboard and handle all the macros and whatnot. All doable, mind you.
Trying to do these more regularly. Though I’ve no idea who (besides me) finds them useful.
- Mechanical Keyboards (as in mechanical-switch actuated vs membrane switch)
- 35% vs 40% vs 60% Keyboard form factors
- Custom Keycaps for said mechanical keyboards (for mounting on Cherry MX Clear switches)
- Fully custom aux keyboards for media keystrokes
- Aesthetically pleasing USB -> Mini USB cables
- Alternate graph paper patterns
- Curing Air-drying clay without cracking
- Sizable Mid-Century Dining room lighting
- TIG welding rigs (110v units)
- Military Nose art
I haven’t done one of these in entirely too long.
- Desert Storm Night Camouflage
- Document Boxes (aluminum)
- Rack Mounted Firewire 800 (or, maybe USB 2.0) Storage solutions
- New Shoulder bag design parameters, referencing
- TOPO Designs
- Able Archer
- The Hill People
- Air-Hardening Clay
- Custom Palet racks